Wednesday, March 30, 2011

In Memory

Today was an awful day, for various reasons I don't need to get into, though some of you may know. It was one of those days where you just want to huddle in a corner and cry, or hug someone and never let go.

One days like this, I invariably turn to music. It is inevitable. Music is a huge part of my life, and so here are a few songs I turned to today -

Overall, the days is encapsulated by one of the stunningly beautiful pieces we are currently playing in our school band - An American Elegy by the amazing Frank Ticheli. It was composed in memory of the tragedy at Columbine High School.


(More great Ticheli pieces found here)

Another of my favorite composers is Eric Whitacre. A few of his wonderful pieces -

The gorgeous October-
              woodwind and string arrangements



Sleep


Lux Arumque (Light and Gold)
Choral and woodwind



 

Another beauty - Fantasy on a Japanese Folk Song by Samuel R. Hazo


These are my songs of the day. I hope you find them as beautiful as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment